Red Shoulder Severum 4inch
The Red Shoulder Severum (Heros cf. efasciatus, formerly H. severus), also known as the Rotkeil or Red Neck Severum, is a very popular mid-sized cichlid that has been kept and bred in the aquarium hobby for many years. It is known for the generous, deep red coloration that it develops behind its head as it matures. This relatively mild-mannered cichlid is widespread throughout South America, where it inhabits mostly calm, deep waters and slow-moving waterways. As a juvenile, the Red Shoulder Severum is uniformly green-gray, but as it matures, it typically develops blue-green body coloration along with the aforementioned red markings.
The Red Shoulder Severum will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It does consume some plant matter, but it typically does not bother most ornamental plants. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful and semi-aggressive fish too large to be considered prey. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Due to the eventual adult size of the Red Shoulder Severum, it should not be kept with most ornamental invertebrates. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether. It should also be noted that the Red Shoulder Severum is typically more peaceful with tankmates when it is grown up with them from juvenile age rather than introduced as an adult.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Red Shoulder Severum. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Supplemental vegetable matter is also required. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering Mature specimens of this magnificent fish.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful red and blue-green coloration as it matures
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Easy to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 84° F (25° - 29° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.2
- KH: 1 - 8 KH
- Minimum tank size: 75 gallons for 1 fish, 125+ gallons for a group
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Vegetable matter (blanched spinach, shelled peas, spirulina) is also necessary.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups as a juvenile. Both males and females can be territorial during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous throughout the Amazon River Basin and other South American waterways
- Average adult size: 8 - 10 inches (20 - 25 cm)
- Average purchase size: 4+ inch (10cm)
You may also like
Rs. 250.00 Rs. 290.00
AQA Cichlid Colour Enhancer, 100 Grams
Rs. 210.00 Rs. 450.00
Yellow Lab 2"
Rs. 110.00 Rs. 125.00
Albino Oscar Cichlid
Rs. 225.00 Rs. 500.00
Green terror cichlid 2-2.5"
Rs. 110.00 Rs. 125.00
Red Shoulder Severum A Grade 4inch
Rs. 500.00 Rs. 1,050.00
OUR BRAND PROMISE
Trust and convenience of ethical, healthy, and sustainable pets, pet accessories, and pet-care solutions. Best4Pets is the fruit of labour and love. Brought to you by a collective of experienced pet-lovers, citizen scientists, and hobbyists. We believe - Pets are simply the best.