The Platinum Dumbo Ear Guppy (Poecilia reticulata) is a very colourful guppy variety that is distinctive due to its extra large pectoral fins, which resemble elephant ears. Various shades of red, orange, blue, violet, and yellow are present in this variety, and even females are very colourful!
Guppies typically occupy the top level of the water column, although they can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are also not afraid to jump, so they must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. They will not eat or bother plants. They are safe with other peaceful fish as long as the other fish are not known to nip at the long tail of the guppy. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but guppies may eat shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tank mates. Guppies are best kept in small groups.
While not a picky eater, the Platinum Dumbo Ear Guppy will thrive and remain very colourful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted
What We Like About This Fish:
- Unusually large pectoral fins
- Vibrant multi-colored markings in males and females
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64° - 82° F (18° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.