Yellow Parrot Cichlid A grade 2.5"
The Yellow Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus psittacus). Due to its size and later breeding age, it is not bred as commonly and frequently as many other New World cichlid species. It is, however, a very majestic and rewarding species that is long-lived and worthy of centrepiece display in the large aquarium.
The Yellow Parrot Cichlid will thrive in a large aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge, particularly in the form of plants. It does consume some plant matter, so artificial plants might be superior decor to live plants. This cichlid has a powerful bite and can be aggressive, so care must be taken in choosing tank mates. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Due to the eventual adult size of the Yellow Parrot Cichlid, it should not be kept with most ornamental invertebrates. If spawning is desired, tank mates of other species should be avoided altogether. It should also be noted that the Yellow Parrot Cichlid is typically more peaceful with tank mates when it is grown up with them from juvenile age rather than introduced as an adult. Powerful filtration and regular water changes are necessary for this large species.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy yellow Parrot Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Supplemental vegetable matter is also required. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful blue, olive, and turquoise coloration as it matures
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Rather uncommon species
- Potential to be a "centrepiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 79° - 86° F (26° - 30° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 6.5
- KH: 2 - 12 KH
- Minimum tank size: 100 gallons for 1 mature adult, 150+ gallons for a pair
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Vegetable matter is also necessary.
- Social behaviour: Congregates loosely in groups as a juvenile. Both males and females can be territorial during spawning.
We Also Recommend
Neon Blue Acara 2.5inch