Scar Diamond Angel Large Veil Tail
The Scar Diamond Angel (Pterophyllum scalare) is a very elegant and beautiful angelfish variety. The wild-form striping is minimal, and is mostly replaced by bright blue coloration as the fish matures. This shoaling cichlid is relatively peaceful compared to other members of the cichlid family. It also has a very thin, tall body unlike most other cichlids. The Scar Diamond Angel is indigenous to several river systems in Northern South America, but virtually all specimens in the aquarium hobby have been tank-bred for generations.
The Scar Diamond Angelfish will thrive in a heavily planted aquarium with driftwood or rock formations and gentle water flow. It is not overly reclusive, but this fish strongly prefers the cover of plants and, due to its body shape, is not likely to seek refuge in rock caves and similar structures. The Scar Diamond Angel is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Scar Diamond Angel, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tank mates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tank mates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether unless the aquarium is very spacious.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Scar Diamond Angel. High-quality dry, frozen, and live foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Striking blue coloration with maturity
- Very elegant appearance and behaviour
- Ideal for planted aquariums
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Excellent centerpiece fish for the heavily planted aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 76° - 86° F (24° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.4
- KH: 0 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 40 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group. The tall body shape of this fish must be considered regarding the height of its tank.
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behaviour: Shoaling. Generally peaceful, but can be territorial during spawning
We Also Recommend
Red Shoulder Angelfish Mediu.
WA Remora fish feed, 100 gm
Albino Angel Small