One of the most colorful freshwater creatures you'll ever find, the notorious Electric Blue Crayfish has to be seen to be believed! The Electric Blue Crayfish is and has been one of our most popular specimens ever since our beginnings. This crayfish is also commonly known as the Electric Blue Freshwater Lobster, though true lobsters do not exist in freshwater. This species originates from the Southeastern United States, but all of our specimens are tank-raised. Like most Procambarus species, the Electric Blue Crayfish reaches maturity very quickly and breeds easily in the aquarium. In fact, many of our specimens have bred in our tanks at our facility!
Though most crayfish are often reclusive by nature, this particular crayfish is very active by comparison and spends plenty of time exploring the floor of the aquarium in search of food. The Electric Blue Crayfish is an omnivorous scavenger and will eat most any meaty or plant-based foods. This animal should not be kept with ornamental live plants, as it will eat them at a surprising rate.
As it reaches adulthood, the Electric Blue Crayfish will become relatively territorial, so it may behave aggressively towards other animals in the tank. It is important that ample hiding places such as rockwork, driftwood, or PVC pipes be provided. This is even more crucial when housing multiple crayfish in the same tank. Due to the size and waste production of this crayfish, a minimum 30-gallon, well-filtered aquarium is necessary for one adult. A larger aquarium can house multiple adults of similar size. This is a very hardy animal, but regular water changes are vital to its optimal health. Other bottom-dwelling invertebrates and fish should not be kept with large crayfish. It is possible to keep mid- and upper-level, fast-swimming fish with the Electric Blue Crayfish, but crayfish are opportunistic feeders and will generally eat whatever they can catch. It is a skilled climber, so extra care must be taken to ensure that it does not escape its enclosure.
As with all of our crayfish, the coloration of the Electric Blue Crayfish is EXTREMELY high quality - much higher quality than others on the market! This crayfish may TEMPORARILY change color and hide more than usual after molting, which may occur during shipping. If your crayfish is not blue and you find a molt in the bag or in your aquarium, do not worry; this is normal and the bright color will return in 2 weeks or less.
This is the blue variant of this species, with red/orange and white specimens also being available.
- Bold blue coloration that makes for a wonderful centerpiece to the aquarium
- Much more active than many crayfish species
- Extremely hardy and adaptable
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 65°- 76° F (18° - 24° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 6 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. High-quality sinking pellets, plants, and freeze-dried or frozen meaty foods will be readily accepted. Cuttlebone should be added to the aquarium to supplement calcium, which will aid in exoskeleton production
- Social behavior: Can be aggressive/territorial with its own kind. Crayfish will typically eat whatever they can catch, but since they are slow-moving, they are not often able to harm fast-moving fish
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Southeastern United States
- Average adult size: 4 - 5 inches (10 - 12.7 cm) body length, minus claws
- Average purchase size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)
- Recommended tankmates: Fast-moving fish (such as Celestial Pearl Danios, Rasboras, Guppies, etc.). While dwarf shrimp can be kept successfully with these crayfish, caution should be exercised, as the crayfish have been known to catch and eat slow, sick, or particularly small shrimp. Cichlids can be aggressive toward crayfish and should not be kept in the same tank. Bottom-dwelling tankmates should definitely be avoided.
You may also like
Ghost Lobster Import
Rs. 350.00 Rs. 600.00
Dwarf Orange Crayfish
Rs. 200.00 Rs. 300.00
OUR BRAND PROMISE
Trust and convenience of ethical, healthy, and sustainable pets, pet accessories, and pet-care solutions. Best4Pets is the fruit of labour and love. Brought to you by a collective of experienced pet-lovers, citizen scientists, and hobbyists. We believe - Pets are simply the best.